Thursday, August 28

NY NY



What a wonderful town!

 Monday, June 23......So we arrive by car; my mom, her husband, D and myself, through New Jersey...(yeesh it is all true, not a pretty place.) and then we hit the Lincoln Tunnel...
tee hee hee hee hee tada there is the skyline, right there as you come out into the light! Sooooooo exciting!

We drive into Times Square , one snail's pace car length at a time, and our NY home for the next week "The DoubleTree Guest Suites"
Check in amidst the noise, and hustle and bustle...(I feel a bit like I am inside Donald Duck's brain and he did acid..) and venture out onto the street. 48th and 7th, our corner.

Wow, first I am hit with the heat...the intense heat and humidity like a wall against you all the time, and then I notice the smell.
Yoinks-the smell knocks you over in Times Square. It isn't a constant smell, oh no, it wafts up from the deep dank bowels of the city and that is exactly what it smells like.
It took a little getting used to.
I have to say, my first day, I was not such a big fan of NY. I thought it was all like Times square and this country bumpkin was a little overwhelmed.
It is okay though...I got over it :)

We go for lunch at an Irish pub, all the staff are Spanish and D happilly chats in that language with them and then we walk...and walk...and walk some more. I can't stop spinning in circles and looking up...up...UP!

Once outside of Times Square the architecture truly hits me and I start to notice the iconic images everywhere....oh look there is Carnegie Hall....oh look there is the Dakota...oh look those are the towers from Ghostbusters... oh look it's the fountain from Friends...and on and on.

We take a carriage ride through Central Park, our horse billy and driver bruno, give us a great history of the area and then we head to the Stages deli for dinner......mmmmmmm pastrami and corned beef.....a mile and a half high!

My mom keep saying how quiet Times square is...I am ummmm...a little worried..."this is quiet?" yikes what does busy look like?

We wonder and shop and plan for the rest of the week.
D and I make it to Rupert's Deli outside the David Lettermen Show and rupert signs a tee for us. tee hee..."hey lady want to buy a monkey?"
and then the heat does us in and we call it a day cause i have 4 museums I want to get to on Tuesday.....( insert goofy music, little did I know how big 1 museum was)

More to come...


1 comment:

  1. You know... the thing I remember most about NY was the constant beeping of the taxis... I always thought that was just a special effect in TV shows and movies. Yeah, not so much.

    Great pictures!

    ReplyDelete

Tell me all about yourself.