Tuesday, November 3

Winter.....it comes


As winter hits, my writing muse seems to have reclaimed me and I will be back, working on my blog a day notes.

November, gah, I can't believe it.
It is November. Crazy how the time flies.
Winter is truly upon us.
Fires are burning in the hearth, furries curl their tails around their noses and I am excited once more, at the prospect of the first snowfall.


Meanwhile...it is exactly a year since I made my way home from my two months abroad.
I find little details I had forgotten brimming to the surface often, sweet little visceral experiences that take me to another time and place and are so welcome as the time rolls on.

One recent memory was been a day where not a lot happened outwardly.
I was living in Limpenhoe, in Reading Room Cottage and spent the day making curry pumpkin soup for guests who were coming over. Really, how cool is that and how many of us get to travel and settle into a home where you can cook for your friend and guests?

It was such a lovely thing, that, just living in a different time and place and sharing that with Stephy.
She was working like a maniac so I took a little time out of the trains, planes and donkeys and settled in, looking after her dog, catching up on my laundry, and creating meals as a thank you for all her hospitality.

What I hadn't realized at the time however, was how warm and lovely it would be to simply keep house and hearth in a 17th century cottage and look forward to Stephy coming home to warmth and yummy smells and satiated furries.

New and dear friends shared this particular evening with us- big chunky bread, a cold October day, fire in hearth, ( well let's face it, the fire was for me, I was just back from a month in Greece and Spain..bbrrrrr) , and warm thick fragrant soup. Oh and wine..mustn't forget the wine :)



it was a perfect day...a walk with Angus through the farmer fields, an oven cooking all day shooting out steamed yumminess, and company that felt like old friends.

1 comment:

  1. I wanna see inside Stephy's cottage so badly! What a neat place to live, and to see as a traveler! So much better than a stuffy new hotel. (Though I know Britain is dotted with great old hotels and such too--so jealous of the history!)

    Fall makes me reminiscent too, and happy---but unlike you once real winter sets in so does the sad and the grumpy. Hates winter and I will once again try to send you ALL my snow. Blech! :)

    ReplyDelete

Tell me all about yourself.