Saturday, December 11

Can someone explain to me how this is okay?

I am so frustrated and angry about this. I have written the following letter to local news hoping they will investigate further and encourage you to do so as well.
I mean...am I missing something here?


'Each Christmas, Thrifty Foods generously shares a bonus with their employees. Something that has been done for years.

Thrifty foods is also known for hiring adult workers with special needs, many of whom survive on disability pensions.

As I understand, a worker on a disability pension is encouraged to work and allowed to make up to $500.00 per month, above the amount they recieve on their pension cheque, without consequence.

Thrifty's is very good about ensuring hours are kept within this so as not to have people lose pension monies by working for them.

I have however discovered the bonus that Thrifty Foods gives to all of its employees - approximately $350.00- will be taken OFF the pension cheques of those workers who also receive a disability pension. These workers will not be allowed to have their bonus.

The workers with disabilities are being penalized because they have 'ostensibly' made more than $500.00 in a month even though it is a bonus and given as a gesture of goodwill.
A bonus like this says thank you.
It offers an opportunity to feel good about oneself, to feel connected to their larger community and it helps out people at a time of year when we all need a little extra.

I am outraged that the gov't is bound by such tight guidelines that a bonus may not be enjoyed by a person with disabilites, the same way an able bodied person could, and it screams of discrimination to me.'


No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me all about yourself.