Sunday, October 5

Bumbling Through Europe


So I have been to the Acropolis. I couldn't help myself, it was 8:00am,had very little sleep, I went looking for coffee and I saw it....high on the hill, and I felt my feet trekking......

It was amazing.....breathtaking, and packed...holy crap. I am so glad I went so early, I actually had some areas on my own but not so by 9:00.


The ferry remained uneventful but not the taxi ride to hotel.
My non english speaking driver, the one who I had another driver explain where I was going, get a total for trip and also showed the address I had written in Greek by another Ferry passenger....spent 45 minutes helplessly lost in the streets around the Plaka.
Popping in and out of the cab, talking to newstand people, stopping strangers on the street, her really couldn't find it.
I made him stop, threatened another taxi, and finally..tada....he found it. Honestly, welcome to Athens at 7:00am.
He wasn't a bad man, just truly lost, maybe first week on the job?

Unfortunately because he rushed me out of the cab carrying my luggage, he left a bag of souvenirs I was sending home in the trunk of the cab. Sigh......I am hoping the parcel karma fairy will show good concsience and drop it off here....there are a lot of yellow cabs here phoning him does not seem to be an option.

Now as a day full of "highs and lows" ( sorry couldn't help my punny self...lololool))...I also managed to come down the other side of the Parthenon and get totally lost in the Acropolis. Did I mention it is huge? Did I mention I am pms'ing? Ugh!

I arived at the museum, very cool and statues..also cool, but nowhere near where I needed to be.
3 guides later ( they all gave me differing directions) and 90 minutes of hoofing around ruins lost, I stopped a NewYorker on the street who had me sorted immediately. Whew... I am telling you it has been a big day.
I came back to the hotel, got my room and promptly passed out for a few hours.

Now fresh as a daisy, I am staying in the Plaka this afternoon and evening.

The good side??? I did manage to figure it all out, "march on Kimmee."...still pissed about the package though.

2 comments:

  1. I had the cab driver from hell yesterday. He didn't use his break once. I thought I was going to die.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great picture Kimmee. You wear Greece well!

    ReplyDelete

Tell me all about yourself.