Monday, October 6

MTV launch in Greece, and I was there...




My first dinner alone, and I sat with a book and beer when beside me, two black clad roadie types, sat down and started talking in Dutch.
They commented in English about my meal and the conversation was off...we all had dinner together and it turned out they were working for MTv setting the tv stages for a big concert at the Olympic Stadium including REM.



Hmmmmm Athens and a huge concert and an historic stadium all at the same time??? Count me in batman.

They went back to work and I went to my hotel to get clear metro instructions to the Stadium.
Found it no problem after a 40 minute ride and 2 changes and got to front of stadium only to discover it was a noisy football game, not a concert......OH NOOOOOOO...there are two Olympic stadiums..a new one and an old one......ofcourse the old one was the one I needed and is a 5 minute walk from my hotel...far from where I was at the "new" stadium....

meanwhile EEEEEEEKKKKKK the rabid football ( soccer) fans were getting out and I had to share the metro, squeezed between fans singing and chanting...ugh.

I did find my way back to the "old" stadium and finally found myself in the ancient space, right in the thick of things...
I thought I had missed it, but turns out it was just getting going.

I met a lovely sidekick to spend the evening with. A young woman, kindred spirit, and we giggled and danced the evening away together. Thanks very much to Xenia, for sharing a great party.


After my highs and lows of Sunday in Athens, the evening offered the kind of magic you dream about when planning a trip like this.

Ohhh and did I mention the concert was free??? The whole evening cost me 80 cents for metro :)


The Kaiser Chiefs began, followed by a young singer from Australia and finally REM..they did not disappoint. Whoot...so fantastic!!!!!!!!!
What an exciting place to spend my first night in Athens......trulky magical, a once in a lifetime experience I will never forget.!!!!

1 comment:

  1. have you got horseshoes in your backpack?? Michael stipe for free????? oh man!!!

    ReplyDelete

Tell me all about yourself.