Sunday, February 8

and about that English food....

I was warned "ad nauseum" about the perils of eating English food.....I heard..
"watch out for the grease"
"you won't get any fresh greens"
"don't eat organ meats"
"eeek, overcooked boiled veggies"
... etc , etc.

I am happy to report however, my experience was very different than my expectations. Really...I ate very well and full of fresh greens and veggies...
I believe largely in part to Stephy, a wonderful cook ( her home is reading Room Cottage where I whiled away many happy days )

My first days were full of stirfry's, toad in the hole,( and yes that whole half of the plate is yorkshire pudding and sausage..)




and breakfasts including Greek Yoghurt, fresh fruit or porridge and golden treacle.

The apple doesn't fall far from Stephy's tree...her mom is also an amazing cook and our Sunday Tea included this for pudding......umm look at the size of those rasberries...




......but I will not discuss the whole Mushy pea fiasco....gack....how do people eat that and in styrofoam cups no less...?


Later we had a little afternoon tea on our paddleboat along the broads...


A true pub lunch was had at Lord someone and such's, ummm hmmm can't remember, but the food and cider were wonderful :)




Really, I don't know where the peeps that gave me such stern warnings had been eating, but I found English food, fresh and flavourful and delicious.
I am also a big fan of the chips..heavens, please give me some...

"fish and chips and vinegar, vinegar, vinegar....
fish and chips and vinegar...
pepper, pepper, pepper salt!"

1 comment:

  1. Mmmm.
    I have read many books lately that have talked about how British food is so much better these days. I think the foodie phenomenon has helped that, as well as folks just becoming more aware of dietary needs and sense.
    Plus some chefs (celeb and otherwise) have made big strides in making the foods served in schools better, more nutritious and appealing, which teaches better food habits overall.

    There are some Brit foods I really want to have over there (rather than just copied here) like the fish and chips. (OMG those look so good! Of course, I can do malt vinegar in shots I love it so much!)

    I am always sad when going to a British-style/expat pub or restaurant here in the states. Often the food is good, but they tend to focus on Indian or Singaporean styles to add interest and there are not many strictly English dishes served.
    Also the desserts are the saddest things ever! I know Brits eat WONDERFUL desserts, but all we get here is "bread pudding" (not made correctly or well) and then the sad parade of American standards (like the g*d*mm*ed brownie with ice cream and chocolate sauce...never get me started on that subject..the tirade knows no end. ;))

    I am so glad you got great food (and am totally jealous of that and seeing Stephy!)
    Gotta agree on the mushy peas though....ew!

    ReplyDelete

Tell me all about yourself.