Wednesday, February 4

Real Men Watch....

...old Musicals!

Many late nights have found me glued to the set, lost in the hues of gray on the screen and taken away by melodies of a time gone by.

I blame this obsession on my mother, the original Pollyanna...(I am downright cynical in comparison) she turned me onto the world of black and white film at a young age.
I would stay up long past bedtime, watching the CBC and getting lost in floating layers of tulle, crisp bowties and tailcoats.
Bleary eyed at 2:00am, I would crawl into bed and dream, my dreams floating in black and white melodies.



I have been mocked for this, yes...yes it is true....MOCKED, shocking isn't it.
I have even been referred to as "old fashioned" and "corny".
Past boyfriends would squirm at the first overture, and I, young as I was, would submit and change the channel.

Well I suppose those adjectives are still applicable to me and I wear them as a badge of honour, but I have not met many men who can sit down to a good ol' black and white MGM musical extravaganza and not only know all the songs, but be interested enough to google search the leading ladies.

There are simply not many men out there who really love a well written and brilliantly performed, musical.

Lucky for me, I live with one now, he doesn't squirm, and he can sing all the words to "Dance by the Light of the Moon" (and has even been known to sing it to our pussycats, but don't tell him I told you)

Real men Watch old Musicals.......take heed all you men!

1 comment:

  1. one of my favourite things I always remember (and love) about you is that I always know you are staying up late watching old movies!

    ReplyDelete

Tell me all about yourself.