Sunday, February 22

the sounds of silence?

It is hard to believe a house could ever truly feel like a home without the tumbly chaos of pets.
We live with 2 large snow dogs and 3 pussycats.
Now you might think this is a lot, and well * giggle* you are probably right, but for us it feels just right.

When I was young I desparately wanted to be a vet.....well actually I wanted to be James Herriot, and thought that Seigfried's home, with its welcome of gallumphng dogs skidding down the hardwood halls, and the tangle of tongues and woofs, was the way to live.

I dreamt of that .... fire crackling, surrounded by snoring furries, perfectly content.
I wanted to move into that farm house amd be James Herriot.

I even dressed up as him for "Come as your favourite person" day at school in grade six.


Be careful what you wish for.......... *smiles*

Jump forward 30 years..I am living that dream..okay I did not become a vet...ugh... too much sadness and blood, but as I mentioned, we do have a house full of furries.


There are some compromises to be made:
We will never leave the house in black clothing that does not carry a strand.... (or 3 .....or a million,) of animal fur.
We will never plan a vacation on the spur of the moment.
We will never leave the house in a hurry without checking that the water bowls are full, and all the furries are okay.
We will never have a big enough bed for all to stretch out upon..forget about us and our space!
We will never walk down the stairs without checking for cat toys and balls.


But...

We have the faces of unconditional love waiting at the top of the stairs when we come home.
We have the sound of happy snoring puppies curled together at the foot of the bed.
We have the kity train in the hallway at mealtimes
We have the companionship of lovely wise dogs everywhere we walk
We have a fire and happy evenings surrounded by a house full of tumbly furry chaos.
We have a family that suits us just perfectly..right down to the last hair on the lapel.

I wouldn't trade it for anything...not even the ability to wear hairfree velvet :)

1 comment:

  1. My greatest snuggle time memories were when the boy was little and he would fall asleep on my bed and my cat & I along with him...it was usually after school [university for me]we were all tired at the end of the day and needed a nap before dinner...I didn't always get to nap with them b/c I would have to be cooking and doing other chores, as well as homework. The boy is too big/old to snuggle with his mommy now so I get my snuggles & warmth from my cat.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me all about yourself.