Thursday, April 14

day 12- pic of your favourite memory

This was easy and it all is around one thing.....the Volkswagon Van I grew up in.
( click on pics to see larger )

This is my mom 'Mumzie", me and our dog Sinja- circa 1972.

The sun would hit......and we would be gone.....every weekend from May to October camping in and around BC.



The van : a 1963 VW Van complete with purple psychedelic curtains in the windows.

You will notice in this next pic, a tent in the background to the right. When I became too long to sleep width wise in the van I got a pup tent.
I had to put it and tear it down by myself.
This came with a steep learning curve and a lot of frustrated young person moments screaming at tent pegs.

This van and those trips have a LOT of memories.



There was the time  Sinja and her puppies  ( about 10 weeks old ) came camping with us. 
The puppies went exploring in the wee hours.... in the pouring rain.
I must have been about 6 running around Long Beach in the dark, chasing puppies.
I scooped them all up, soaking wet and tucked them deep into my sleeping bag to get dry and warm without alerting the parental units.



-then here was the time my folks sat around the fire in the rain after I had to gone to bed, ( in the tent I had haphazardly put up) and watched, giggling, as the tent  filled up with water and then collapsed on me, sending me spluttering through the nylon disaster, in the dark, to find out what happened.
I was met with a lot of hysterical adults.....harumph, I did not think it was so amusing.


-then there was the time the van wouldn't start in the ferry lineup to Saltspring so Mumzie and Teresa  ( best friend of Mumzie's ) used their charms to get a couple of hippy dudes to crawl under said van and wire together the appropriate wires so we weren't left behind...


then there was the time....well you get the idea...

so many memories...... such a great van. Oh the 70s!

1 comment:

  1. Super cool.
    I wish I had memories like that. My folks just weren't old enough to be "real" hippies and we made due with a Gremlin and trips to the closest lake, lol.

    Great pics and stories. Love 'em!

    ReplyDelete

Tell me all about yourself.